Reasons for well-child checkups
- Track growth and development: Regular checkups are a way to monitor your child’s growth. Your pediatrician will also check developmental milestones, such as motor skills and language development.
- Prevent illness and injuries: Well-child visits are a chance to talk about immunizations/vaccinations. They also allow time to speak about nutrition, general safety concerns and your child’s overall well-being.
- Build a relationship: These checkups help to establish a trusting relationship between you and your child’s healthcare team.
What to expect
- Physical exam: Measure vital signs (blood pressure, height and weight) to make sure growth and development are on track.
- Developmental screening: Checking for developmental milestones, motor skills and language development.
- Vaccinations: Vaccines protect your child against serious illnesses. Your pediatrician will review the recommendations, and answer any questions you may have.
- Nutrition and exercise: Your child’s provider can give feedback and tips for age-appropriate nutrition and physical activity for building healthy habits.
- Safety and injury prevention: Address any concerns such as car seat usage and home safety. For teens, this can include questions about alcohol/drug use, mental health, and high-risk behavior.
Colorado Mountain Medical is able to fill out daycare, school, sports and other forms if your child is up to date on their wellness visits. Contact your child’s physician or e-mail Pediatric.Forms@VailHealth.org.