There are two primary COVID-19 tests used for different purposes. Vail Health and Colorado Mountain Medical provide both the genetic test (if you have the virus now) and antibody test (demonstrates exposure to the disease and that you’ve developed COVID-19 antibodies). The tests have been independently validated by three organizations to be 95%+ accurate when a positive result is detected. Both genetic and antibody testing are available at our Colorado Mountain Medical clinics in Vail, Avon and Eagle (970-926-6340) and at the Vail Health Avon Urgent Care location (970-949-6100). Genetic testing is only provided to patients with COVID-19 symptoms. Please call the locations to arrange your evaluation/testing.
What is it?
Genetic (Diagnostic) Testing
Genetic (diagnostic) testing typically includes a nasal swab and is used to determine if a person is currently sick due to COVID-19.
Who should be tested?
Any Individual exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19. Symptoms include shortness of breath, fever, dry cough, headache, body aches, ear ache, sore throat, loss of the sense of smell or taste, or sometimes abdominal pain, such as nausea, vomiting and diarrhea
How do I get tested?
If you are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, call your provider to schedule an appointment for evaluation and testing or come to one of our locations below for testing.
- People experiencing extreme difficulty breathing should call 911 or visit the Emergency Department immediately.
- If breathing is troublesome but manageable, please call Colorado Mountain Medical at (970) 926-6340 to schedule an appointment at a respiratory clinic:
- CMM Clinic-Eagle Healthcare Center (respiratory clinic downstairs): 970-926-6340
- CMM Clinic-Vail Medical Professional Building (respiratory clinic main level): 970-926-6340
- Avon Urgent Care-Chapel Square next to City Market (respiratory clinic): 970-949-6100
- Emergency department at Vail Health Hospital: 970-479-7225
This test is essentially free to the patient.
- If you have insurance, the insurance company will be billed for the test and you should not be billed for a deductible or copay.
- Self-pay rate is $130-$154, however, If you do not have insurance the cost of your test should be waived.
- If you are evaluated by a physician or provider you will be charged for a clinical office visit.
The Magic bus is parked outside the Colorado Mountain Medical clinic in Avon, doing COVID-19 antibody testing 3 days a week. Please call CMM at (970) 926-6340 with questions. The antibody test is done through blood work and identifies exposure to COVID-19 and the development of antibodies. It does not identify if you are currently infected with the virus. A positive antibody test can create a false sense of security since it is not known if this assures immunity. But, many people are curious to know if they have developed antibodies so it is available.
Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays: 9:00am – 3:00pm
EXISTING CMM PATIENTS:
- Walk up for testing, no appointment needed.
- We would advise to come in the mid-day as mornings seem especially busy.
- This test is not free and costs about $81-$83.
- We will use insurance if you have it. As of now we are hearing that insurance will cover it.
- If you have never been seen at CMM – you will need to come in for an office visit before being tested. This will ensure that we have up-to-date medical information for you and that you’re in our system. Once you have done that, you will be able to get the antibody testing.
- Please note this means you will be charged for an office visit plus the cost of testing ($55 for the test, $26 for the venipuncture). All of which should be covered by insurance as of now.
- We encourage you to learn more about your test results and set up an appointment to discuss your results with your CMM provider should you have questions.